Friday, May 11, 2012

Dresden top finished

Last week I finished my Dresden quilt top for the Scrappy Plate Club. I found that I can sometimes do more hand sewing than machine sewing. You know, while sitting in front of the TV as the toddler watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!

I was a little lazy with my picture taking. It's been raining and raining here so I didn't have too many outdoor options. So maybe we'll just consider these shots preview of the finished top!


At one point I had considered raspberry sashing. But once the blocks were all done, I realized the raspberry was brighter than the color I used in the plates. I had a bunch of Kona Ash on hand so I used that.

I'm glad I did, I really like the ash and navy. I think it gives it a more classic look.  I may still use the raspberry as binding? Not sure yet. I still have a lot of scraps in this color that might be nice to use up as binding too.

Here's a close up of one of the blocks.


Now I just need to decide how to quilt this one. My budget for long-arm work is temporarily suspended as hubby was laid off. So I have to come up with something I can do myself. Any ideas? I've never quilted something with applique!


11 comments:

Katie B said...

This is so beautiful! I love the way the sashing turned out.

Denise in PA said...

Becky, it's awesome! I really, really love it - and I think the sashing you finally chose works perfectly. Seriously - it really sets off the plates better than the raspberry would have. Sometimes more subdued is WAY better. I'm thinking of straight line outlining in the plates and stippling in the background on mine.

Denise in PA said...

Becky, it's awesome! I really, really love it - and I think the sashing you finally chose works perfectly. Seriously - it really sets off the plates better than the raspberry would have. Sometimes more subdued is WAY better. I'm thinking of straight line outlining in the plates and stippling in the background on mine.

Jessica Kelly said...

love this becky!! Too cute, I love the sashing!!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

LOVE your sashing! It is coming together beautifully! I have no clue how to quilt it. :) LOL Sorry!
Check for ideas on Natalia Bonner's Flickr site. She does beautiful things.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/piecenquilt/6774755044/in/photostream

Katy Cameron said...

Looks absolutely fab! Maybe a spiral on each plate bit? Sorry, I'm not very good at the quilting bit! Hope hubby gets another job soon too (((((HUGS)))))

**nicke... said...

very very very pretty! i would probably quilt 1/2" around the blocks and in the sashing then i would echo out around the dresdens...

Anna said...

I love it...I think the ash sashing was a great choice!

felicity said...

I agree with nicke** - some echo quilting around the plates would look fab.

I'm *really* sorry to hear about your husband's layoff! I am sending your family good vibes for a very short unemployment stint.

Jacey said...

I can't be of help on the quilting issue, but I love it! The top is beautiful!

And I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he can find something really quickly!

Unknown said...

This looks absolutely amazing and I really love the sashing you used. I think Raspberry would have been too overpowering.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...